Live. Laugh. Sparkle.
Another blog. This one has sparkles.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Good Deeds at Wawa

Feeling 33

It might be time to get some new tires for my car. My tire pressure light seems to be coming on more than usual, so I probably should bring it in to the shop soon. Thank goodness for Wawa and it's free air machine. (And it's just another excuse for me to get one of their soft pretzels, which are ah-MAZ-ing, and a drink from the freestyle Coke machine. Soda and carbs, two of the great things in life.)

This most recent trip to Wawa started off great - there was no line for the free air, so I got right to work. I was on my way to meet up with my mom and stepfather, and since I had an hour's drive ahead of me, I wanted to get on the road as soon as possible. I'd just started filling tire #2, when I heard a lady's voice ask, "Are you gonna be much longer?"

Standing on the other side of my car was a middle-aged woman, with a cane and a wrist brace. My first reaction was to be annoyed. Filling up my tires wasn't what I wanted to be doing in the first place, and the heat didn't make it any more fun. Now there was somebody looking over my shoulder, wanting me to hurry. Ugh.

But this woman didn't look like she could exactly fill up her tires easily, what with the cane and wrist brace...

"Do you need some help? I could check your tires for you." I said, not really thinking about it. You would've thought I'd offered to wash her car inside and out, she was so grateful.

She ended up telling me all about how her son was supposed to take care of her car for her, but he kept forgetting. We chatted about our different cars, the Florida traffic, our families...the whole interaction took less than 10 minutes,  but as we got into our cars to leave, she thanked me, and told me to "thank [my] mom for raising such a sweet daughter."

I didn't exactly feel like I could pat myself on the back, as I thought about the episode of "Friends" when Joey tries to prove to Phoebe that there are no truly selfless good deeds. I felt so good that I was able to help that lady, I definitely felt like it wasn't any sacrifice to help her because I was riding high on endorphins.

It was with a twinge of guilt that I left the Wawa. I thought of all the times that I could've helped someone, but was in too much of a hurry, or too oblivious. I realize that we can't help everyone, and there definitely are (unfortunately) people in the world who will take advantage of someone's generosity. But I think that, as we try to keep our hearts in tune to those little nudges from the Holy Spirit (or from whatever higher power you may believe in), we'll find those opportunities like I had at the Wawa, to lend a hand that will make someone's day - and make yours as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment